Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A little vaca and back to routine

Happy July!! Hope the summer is starting off well for you. It's still been on the below average side here in the northwest. But honestly, I prefer it while running. It can be hot after my run, but as long as its cool during my run I'm a happy runner! Can we make that happen? I didn't think so, I guess I'll have to adjust. The weather is actually going to start climbing this week, which means I will have to get my runs in in the morning if I wanna beat the heat.
So as I mentioned last post, I went to Seattle/Kirkland to visit with my dear, old granny!

 I had a really nice time and it's always good to get to see her. We did what we do best and shopped and she spoiled me! My birthday is in September, so she wanted to get me a "birthday pretty" as she likes to call it. So I got a new dress for my 10 year HS reunion coming up and some fabulous heels to go with, but I'm most excited about the running jacket I scored! I had been looking for one for a while and either hadn't found one that was water resistant or it was way out of my price range. But now that rain gear is out of season there were a few left on the clearance rack! I'm hoping for no rain of course, but am really excited to try out my new jacket and stay dry on those soggy runs!

We also got some yummy happy hour food and drinks at Anthony's!


Also while I was visiting for the weekend, I wanted to get at least 1 run in. I always enjoy running in new places and whenever I travel I'm scoping out the area and looking at it with my runners eye trying to judge whether or not it's a good area to run in. Are there a lot of hills? Are there sidewalks and what's the scenery like, etc. My grandma lives within a mile of Lake Washington so I was really looking forward to running along the lake. So I set my alarm for 6am Saturday morning and headed out the door.

 It was grey and gloomy and sprinkling, but warm. Even tho I didn't have my fabulous new jacket yet, I was just fine in shorts and a T-shirt. It was pretty sticky and muggy and the occasional sprinkle felt pretty good!
I was scheduled to run 16 miles with my group that day, but knew I wouldn't get that done on my own since I was in unfamiliar area and didn't want to be wiped out the whole day. So I thought to myself I'd be happy if I got 5 miles in. I set off and headed down towards the lake and went down a dead end street with houses that lined the lake (they were amazing) it was less than 2 miles down and back and it felt like 4! It was the first time in a long time I had ran by myself! I always have Mav with me or my running group or a friend. I decided to go sans music so I could hear and be aware of my surroundings, but was soon wishing I had some music to keep me company and help pass the time! My pace was slow and the miles dragged on. The scenery was nice with pretty views of the lake and boats and the run was mostly flat. I kept saying to myself, just make it to the next crosswalk, then the next, then the next until I came to an end of the sidewalk and the freeway entrance and figured that was a good place to turn around. So the route was basically an out and back with a challenging hill at the end leading back up to my grandma's house. It was a H I double hockey-stick hill!! I was cursing it the whole way up! But I made it, and my legs were still attached but they were burning!

So all together I was able to push thru a long, lonely 8 miles. But on the up side, I ran more than I had planned and it was a beautiful run overall.

I left for home in the late morning Sunday and although it was sad to say goodbye, I was really missing my family at home! So it was really nice to get home and get unpacked and laundry done and then I passed out for the rest of the night.

I woke up Monday grumpy and knowing I needed to get back in schedule and get a run in. I really wasn't feeling it and after an hour of back and fourth I finally gave in and laced up my shoes and Mav and I headed out for an easy 4 miles. It actually felt really good and within the first 1/2 mile I had a skip in my stride once again! I was back in my comfort zone with my best running buddy by my side and all just felt right. My pace was good, about a 9:07 average (much better than the 10:00+ I had on my previous run). So needless to say the runners high set in and I was loving the day!

I'm looking forward to my next run and my long run this weekend back with my group! I'm also looking forward to the 4th of July and lighting off some fireworks and eating some BBQ and drinking a cocktail or two (or three) ;))
Hope everyone else has a happy, and safe 4th and, of course, you are getting some good runs in!!

What's your favorite vacation run you've done?
So far my favorite still remains along the coat in Lincoln City, OR :))

No comments:

Post a Comment