Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Grimm Run!

Good afternoon!!!  So does anyone watch the show Grimm?  It's a TV series filmed here, locally in the Portland area, and for the last 2 days they were filming at Paola's Pizza & Pasta right here in Sandy!!


I decided to run by to see if I could see any of the filming, but they seemed to have been filming at night, I saw some action when I was driving to work.  Bryan and I watch the show and are really looking forward to seeing our small town pizza place on the show!

So that brings me to my runs so far this week, I did a 4.35 recovery run Monday with Mav, it felt good and I thought a lot about my 20 miles I just did and how I need to start picking up some longer runs during the week to help my body adapt to those long runs on Saturdays.  Tuesday is a rest day from CLX (ChaLEAN Extreme) so I figured that would be a prefect day to get in a long run.  My goal was 9 miles.  I got home and got Mav and I ready to go.


Since it was a going to be a long run, I decided perfect time to practice my fueling!  I took 3 Shot Bloks and Mav took 2 Beggin' Strips!  We did a loop through town and I ended up back at home at 6.7miles.  I decided to drop Mav off since he hasn't had breakfast and asking him to do all 9 miles on just a couple of Beggin' Strips didn't seem like enough fuel.  I know he would have been a trooper and gone the distance no problem, but my intuition thought it would be best to get him some food.  So after a quick stop at home to drop him off and feed him breakfast I headed out to finish my 2.3miles left on my own.  

It's always weird to run without Mav, especially around home. Definitely feels like something is missing.  I did a small loop to get my 2.3 miles.  Afterwards I came home, did some stretches and had a protein shake, banana, and a couple Oreos.  I hit the shower and headed to bed.

About 3 hours into my sleep I woke up WIDE awake and hungry!!  I guess my after run meal wasn't enough to satisfy me.  I tried to ignore the pangs and get back to sleep, but after about an hour of tossing and turning, I finally gave in and got up and made some scrambled eggs and half a skinny bagel.  

I am hoping to get back to sleep soon so I can get enough rest for work tonight!

Another exciting run coming up I wanted to mention is the Classic Pineapple 5K August 18th!  It's a fun 3.1 mile run with obstacles!  They also have a costume contest.  Our team consists of Dani, Jenni, my friend Kim and (of course) ME!  We thought it would be fun to dress up for the contest, so I started getting accessories for us.


So far we have some funny Pineapple glasses and Hawaiian flowers for our hair!  We'll have to get some hula skirts and coconut bras too to go with!  Really looking forward to this race with some good friends!!  

Hope you all are getting some runs in!!  I'm off to try and get some more sleep!

Have you ever done an obstacle race?  

What do you eat after a long run?
I thought a protein shake, banana and a couple oreos would be enough, but maybe I should have had something more?



1 comment:

  1. Probably depends day to day but I think since we are building a little muscles with our CLX you might need something more. Plus the banana and oreos have sugar and that processes through your body a lot faster than the eggs and bagel probably did. :) The more you know LOL!

    ReplyDelete