Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Rookie Mistake?

So a race protocol question was asked by a running store on Facebook yesterday asking if "is it ok to wear a race shirt on the day of the race?". Majority of the answers say "NO WAY" and most say it's "bad mojo". I was perplexed by this question and the answers that came along with it! I was always under the impression you were suppose to wear the shirt for the race! Every race I've been to most people wear the shirts... But I always wondered about those who didn't and thought they either didn't like the shirt, didn't register in time to get a shirt, or thought they were "too good" to wear the shirt.

So I did a little research on the etiquette and found that, sadly, it is considered a "rookie mistake" to wear the race shirt the day of the race. It's suppose to be considered an "award" for finishing the race and not to be worn until after you finish. If you've done the race multiple years then you can wear the event shirt, but it's suppose to be the shirt from the first year you did the race.

I'm a little disappointed by these findings. It's one thing I love about the big races is everyone, well mostly everyone, wearing the same shirt and seeing a sea of the shirts during the run.
So the question now is, what do I do for upcoming races? Continue to wear the shirts and possibly be seen as a "rookie" (which doesn't sit well with me) or not wear the shirt and maybe have "better luck"? Thinking about not wearing the shirt seems weird to me. I guess it's because it's what I have always done... Maybe it's time to try something new and see how it feels!

Well on another note, I finished day 3 of ChaLEAN Extreme. Day 1 and 2 were more lifting and day 3 was Burn Intervals and AB Burner. And by far, day 3 was the most killer!! It was high energy cardio/light lifting followed by 10 minutes of AB work. It was tough and I had a hard time finishing all the reps on a lot of the moves. I'm looking forward to seeing what day 4 will bring!!

I have also ran so far everyday this week. I did 4miles on Monday, 5miles Tuesday and 10.6miles on Wednesday! I really enjoyed the 10.6 because I tried out a new route that I had been wanting to do for a while that starts at my work and goes about 5.3 miles down until the sidewalk ends and then back. I will defiantly do that one more often since I can get in some good miles and it convenient to do right after work!  Thursday will be a no run day, and I'm looking forward to a little rest!

Let me know your opinions on race T-shirt etiquette!  And are there any other "protocols" I should know about?

What do yo think of the race T-shirt etiquette?  Do you wear the shirts for the run, or believe it is bad luck?

4 comments:

  1. I don't wear the race shirt because I usually get it the day of, and I feel like it needs to be washed!! LOL I've heard about the rookie thing, but honestly, if people are going to "judge" (that word sounds a little harsh for this, but you get what I mean) than screw them. You are all there for the same reason, to run, so rock your shirt and who cares what people think! They most likely will never see you again anyways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I always pick up my packet early so I don't have to worry about what to do with it at the race, and since the shirt comes with it, I figured it's suppose to be worn for the race! I guess it's up to the runner and there are always gonna be superstitions out there for everything!

      Delete
  2. I haven’t been running for very long but when I was at a race in February I was wearing the race shirt and someone in the group of people I was mentioned it was bad luck to wear the shirt on race day. I had never heard of that before either and always figured I was suppose to wear it since it came in the packet along with your bib number. I agree that it is cool to see a lot of people in the bigger races all wearing the same shirt. Have they always been included in the packet? I can understand if it’s a "finishers" shirt like the ones received after crossing the finish line at the Portland Marathon – I’m looking forward to getting my first one of those shirts. I usually put the race shirt on now after finishing the race and taking off my sweaty shirt that I ran in – mostly following the rule "never try anything new on race day"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the "never try anything new" rule for race day. But like you say, we get our shirts in our packets, so why wouldn't you think to wear it?? If it's not meant to be worn until after, then they should give it to you after you finish! The Portland Marathon gives you 2. One before and one for finishing. I like that idea. I guess I'll feel less part of the race if I'm not wearing the race shirt and stand out more since most people seem to sport the race shirt on the race! This is truly weighing on me! LOL
      Thanks for your input :))

      Delete