Tuesday, July 24, 2012

An evening run

I am fresh in from a 4 mile run in the evening heat.  I normally get my runs in in the morning, but stayed after work so I was a little tired when I got home so decided to postpone my run until the evening.  I knew it was going to be hot, so I waited the latest I could and set out at about 7:00.  I planned on running 4 miles and took it very slow, just under a 10 minute pace.  It was such a comfortable pace and it's amazing how much I can enjoy a slow, casual run.  My breathing was relaxed and I never felt like I was having a hard time.  Plus I had Maverick with me and wanted to keep it slow for him, being close to the hot ground and having a fur coat can only mean it's a lot hotter for him.  I would stand in the shade at crosswalks and if it was possible, we'd stand in the cooler grass while we waited for the signal.  I also took a detour home through the park that had a water fountain and we both got a quick drink and I wet Mav's head and neck down.


Not my best picture!  Even though I felt really good and comfortable on my run, I was still dripping with sweat when I got home!! Mav was anxiously awaiting his dinner.  

I am scheduled to run 20 miles with my group this weekend, and am excited and nervous for it!  I have missed my last 2 long group runs that were 16 and 18 miles, and I haven't been able to get anymore that a little over 10 miles in on my own.  I still am keeping up with getting a run in 4 times a week at least and have been consistent with ChaLEAN so I think I am physically ready to tackle 20 miles!!  

Another thing I keep forgetting to mention is I am on track to run 1,000+ miles this year!!  With all the training for the marathon I should hit that no problem!  I am keeping track of my year-to-date miles on my blog so you can all see it too and see how close I am getting to that milestone!  Very excited to get there!!  

Hope you are beating the heat or adjusting to the heat as you run as the summer is warming up!!

How many miles do you think you'll run this year?

Do you prefer to run in the evening or mornings?

1 comment:

  1. I like morning runs in the spring/summer for the heat purposes :) But come fall and winter I really prefer to run later in the day, but I'll guess we'll see what I'll have time for then! My mileage won't be near yours, but maybe around 700? I'll have to do the math...

    ReplyDelete