Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Twilight Run followed by a 9 miles recovery run

Happy rainy Tuesday!!  Normal Oregon start to Summer, rain! Of course they say summer doesn't start until July 5th, that's convenient!  This past weekend was predicted to be rainy with chance of thunder storms, which was really gonna rain on my parade!!  I had plans with my dad to do our first run together, and it was also our Father's Day date.  My dad has always been athletic and a runner, I've said I got my runners legs from him!  I signed us up for the 5K Twilight Run, which was in Tigard at the Festival of Balloons in Cook Park.

My dad and I!


There was a carnival with rides and yummy food and in the evening they blew up the hot air balloons, so besides the run, there was a lot to see and do!  My dad and I got there a couple hours early to check in and walk around for a bit.  I also had a couple other friends participating in the run.  My neighbor, Jenni, and my friend Lisa who has started running with me on Mondays.  We all met up about a half hour before the race started.  This was Lisa's first race and Jenni's 4th, and 3rd with me!

 
Jenni and I, our 3rd race together! 
         Lisa and I, her first race!!

We all started together and as we were waiting for the run to start I asked my dad what his plan was for finishing the race, I wasn't sure of his pace or anything, but figured we'd be pretty close, then he said "well I'd like to be around 8 minute miles..."  My eyes popped out of my head and I said "OH! I'll try to keep up!"  I know I have finished a 5K around that time, but it's still intimidating!  He has been running, but hasn't ran a race in about 10 years, so he admitted he wasn't really sure what he would be able to do, but that's what he use to run back in the day. 

Once we were off I stuck with my dad for about the first mile, I knew we weren't running 8 minute miles, and I soon saw Lisa passing us.  I stuck with him until we got separated by other runners so I sped up and caught up with Lisa asking her "Where the hell did this speed come from?!"  She laughed and ran with me for about 1/4mile.  Then I continued on as she slowed down a bit.  I always hate to leave people behind, but it's hard to look behind me to see where they are once we get separated, so it's just easier to keep going and maybe they'll catch up.  But no one did.  I saw my dad at one point and we gave each other a high five as we passed.

My pace felt good and a bit hard, I wasn't trying to PR, but wanted to push myself a little harder than I do on my short runs at home.  The low point of the run was when a guy pushing a stroller passed me, really?!  But overall I felt great!  My official chip time was 26:34 with average 8:33 minute miles.  My dad wasn't far behind me finishing at 28:01 with 9:01 average miles, and the shocker of the day was Lisa coming in at 28:15 with a 9:05 pace!!  She was just as shocked!  Once she caught her breath she gasped, "that's the fastest I've ever ran!!!"  I was super happy and excited for her!!!  For being fairly new to running that is an awesome time!  Poor Jenni was sick and knew going into the race she was gonna be slow, she finished in 42:30.  Not her best time, but I know she can do better!  Being sick will really weigh and slow you down, but she finished, and I am always proud of her for sticking with it and trying :))

The Twilight Group!

I loved the course, it was flat and through a beautiful park, and I had a blast!  I hope to do it with my dad every year we can!  Can't wait to do another run with him!

So since I did this run, I sacrificed my long run with the group in the morning.  So I thought I would get a long run in on Sunday with Maverick.  We did a 9 mile loop around town.  I was scheduled to do 16 with the group, but I felt pretty good about getting 9 in on my own, and really wouldn't want to take Mav much further than that.  

I will also be missing my long run this weekend because I am going to visit my Grandma in Seattle.  I'm not sure if I will be able to make up a long run or not, but I'll get some runs in either way.  Then it's back to business and back to marathon training!!  

What's your PR for a 5K?

Do you remember your time for your first race?
Mine was a 10K and I was average about 10:30/mile.  Amazing to see how far I've come!



4 comments:

  1. It’s great that you can run with your dad, it sounds like a good race too. Enjoy yourself in Seattle – I just got back from running the rock ‘n’ roll half… I grew up in the area (Renton) and I was able to see a few friends and some cousins that raced too. My first race was a 5k in September 2010 – 32:10 (10:21/mi). While training for my first half marathon last summer I ran a 5k the first week of a cross country series, on a Wednesday evening in August it was hot and had a few hills – finished it 34:09, not bad for me but it was disheartening that it put me in last place. I’ve mixed in a few speed workouts this year and I ran a 5k a month ago… new PR of 31:06. I have a goal of sub-30 but not sure how well that will work while simultaneously training for my first full marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff! Sounds like you've had some good races and have improved on your pace well! So you decided to take the leap and go for a full marathon? Do you know which one you wanna do??
      Seattle should be fun, I'll actually be in Kirkland. Not too familiar with the area, but hoping to get in at least 1 run while I'm up there!
      Good luck with your marathon training, keep me posted!

      Delete
    2. Hope you enjoyed your visit with your Grandma and were able to get a run in. I signed up for the Porltand Marathon. I will be training with the Portland Galloway Group... at least for the long runs. I do the short runs by myself here in Salem.

      Delete
    3. Good for you! It should be a good marathon for a first! It will also be my first and I am looking forward to it! Glad you found a group to train with! It really helps with those long runs! Best of luck :))

      Delete