Thursday, June 7, 2012

National Running Day Run!

Yesterday was National Running Day and it felt like a holiday to me! I had runners high all day, even before I ran and it lasted well into my shift at work! I couldn't wait to get out for a run and the weather couldn't have been more perfect, low 60's, sunny and a light breeze! PERFECTION! I wanted to get a longer run in and a short run in before my half on Saturday so yesterday was perfect for a long run. I have been trying eating different things before a run to find what fueled me best and so far I have found oatmeal works best! I get low sugar apple and cinnamon and might have some fruit or toast with peanut butter with it also. But the oatmeal by itself seems to do the trick just fine. It doesn't hurt my stomach or weigh heavy on me during my run and seems to fuel me enough to keep me strong throughout my whole run.
So after eating my oatmeal and giving it time to digest, Mav and I set out and headed for Tickle Creek Trail to start. I wasn't sure how far I was going to run, maybe 6 or 7 miles, whatever felt good. I wasn't worried about speed this week because I want to just take it easy before the half. I was really impressed that I maintained a 9:20-9:28 pace the whole time. Usually I'll vary more than that.
Once we made it to our favorite view point we were about 5 miles in. We stopped for a water break and to take in the unbelievable view!
The picture really doesn't do it justice. The way the sun was hitting the mountain it was illuminated. I can never capture it in a picture! There were some others around also taking in the view so I asked one if he would get a pic of Mav and I :))
So at this point we could either head home or keep going. I decided I felt so good that we would keep going for another 4 miles. So all together we ran 9 miles with a consistent pace between 9:20-9:28 per mile. I only hope I feel as good Saturday as I did yesterday, but the weather isn't gonna be so nice, so we'll see! I think the atmosphere will get me pretty pumped up tho!
Today was just a 3.1 mile shake down run in the rain. I was glad it was a short run and got it over with quickly. Tomorrow is a rest day before the big day! Gotta make sure to get plenty of sleep and get some good nutrition in!
My earbuds have been broken since Run Girlfriend Run and I thought not having music would make my runs drag on. But so far I don't miss it and am not planning on wearing any for the half. Sometimes listening to quietness of being outside and my thoughts is nice. I especially like hearing the creek and birds chirping and even like the rhythm of tennis shoes hitting the pavement. I still like to listen to music during my runs and will get a new pair of earbuds soon, but I think I will listen half as much as I used to depending on where I run, I like to have them when I run in areas with heavy traffic to tune out that noise.

Do you prefer to listen to music or not on your runs?

No comments:

Post a Comment