Monday, June 11, 2012

Helvetia Half Marathon!

WOW!  What a weekend!!  I have officially ran my FIRST half marathon!  And it was an awesome experience.  I had some nerves the night before and had to work all night, but was glad I did because I don't think I would have slept anyways and it helped keep my mind distracted.
Dani and I getting ready to leave for the run bright and early!


I finished with a decent time: 2:05:05, with an average of 9:33/mile.  Overall it was a comfortable pace until about mile 11, then I really had to become mind over matter!  I'm not gonna sugar coat it, it was tough!  The first few miles were easy and flat, at about mile 4 there were some challenging hills until about mile 7, and then it was flat again.
At mile 5 I started getting hunger pangs and was worried I didn't eat enough before the run.  For my lunch/dinner, whatever you wanna call it at 2am, I had some grilled chicken and lots of steamed veggies, broccoli, zucchini, carrots and cabbage, some good complex carbs.  I don't eat much in the bread and pasta department so I didn't want to carb-load on anything my body doesn't normally get.  Then on my way to Dani's I had some low sugar oatmeal since that seems to fuel me well for my runs.  So I felt really good about what I had eaten and felt it was enough to keep me going.  I knew at mile 6 they would be handing out gels and I couldn't wait to get one!  I worked on that for about a mile and it seemed to help.  Then I just kept my eye on the prize, the Helvetia hamburger, finishing the race!!
So like I mentioned, mile 11 is when things felt tough.  I contemplation walking for a bit, but quickly talked myself out of it.  My legs and body were tired, but I was too close to stop now!
Once I finished I waited at the finish line for Dani with a couple other runner friends.
Patty, in the pink, is part of my group I run with on Saturdays.  We run in the same pace group and usually pair up and chat.  Suzanne, in the middle, is a friend of Patty's and was a great supporter/cheerleader!  
Dani crossed the finish at 2:29:49.  I was super excited to great her and hug her!  We both have come so far and it's an amazing accomplishment and so glad I get to do it with her!
FINISHERS!!!!
After a few pics we were off to get our burgers and recap how the race went! 
I look extremely tired, and I was.  But I was more happy to eat!!  

Overall I think we both had a really good experience.  It was tough, but that's part of why I do it, to continue to push and challenge myself.  I'm amazed at how far I've come and look forward to whats next!!  
My first 13.1 was awesome, but, it seems short-lived and now it's onto the next, starting with 14 miles this weekend!!  Full speed ahead for marathon training!  I'm still not over the high of the half!  
13.1 in the bag!!

Today I did an easy 4 miles with a friend who asked to start running with me.  We are gonna try to get together every Monday.  She has been running a little on the treadmill, but running outside is a lot different, and takes some getting use to adjusting to a different stride and the different elements.  She did good tho, only had to walk 1 time for about 1/4 mile.  Next time we are planning on taking the dogs, interested to see how that goes!!  


How did your first half marathon go?








4 comments:

  1. My first half went awesome! You seriously rocked it Katie, can't believe how well you did for your first time out! Hip Hip Horray!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing your first Half Katie, you did awesome. I just started running less than two years ago and I did my first half last fall, Helvetia was my third.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thank you so much! It was a challenge, but it felt good! Congrats on finishing 3!! I'm currently dreading the full, but will keep training and hope all goes well!

      Delete
    2. I'm still debating about registering for a full but I need to make a decision quickly. I am planning on taking the plunge when I get back from the Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half.

      Delete