Sunday, April 1, 2012

Coach Jim's Elite Runners in Training

Well it's a little after 2am and of course I can't sleep!  So I thought I would talk a little bit about how my Saturday run went!  Earlier in the week I discovered a FREE runners group.  They meet every Saturday and I thought I'd check it out.  They train you for half and full marathons and they will even customize unique runs tailored to your specific level!  Really a great program.
So I met up with the group in the morning and walked in like a lost puppy, there were probably over 100 runners there and had been running with the group for a long time.  Coach Jim welcomed me with open arms and talked to me about my goals and where I was currently at as a runner.  After talking with me he decided to put me in the 4 hour group (4 hours marathon time) which was about an 11:15 pace...I was like, 'but, but I'm around a 9 minute mile!' He assured me he knows what I can do, but expressed importance on pacing for long distance runs.  No way I can run a marathon with an average 9 minute mile.  I understood it is important to learn to pace myself. So I reluctantly held back as the faster pace groups took off.
I brought my Iphone and earbuds with me ready to listen to some tunes to get me through my run but ended up running with a Chatty Kathy who was also being held back in a slower group due to injury.  Talking with her really helped pass the time.  And after a while of trying to avoid giving our pace leaders flat tires we eventually broke off from the group and upped our pace a little.  I know I know, I was suppose to go slower, but we still were keeping it around a 10:45 pace.
Our run was just under 9 miles and we went up Mt Tabor, which is about a 2 mile uphill run, It was my second time running Mt Tabor and it was a lot easier this time!  It's such a great satisfaction making it to the top!  Oh did I mention the rain??  Yea, we tied a record set back in 1957 for the month of March for total  rainfall!  And the last day of the month took no mercy on us!
See my hair?  It was beautifully straightened ponytail before the run, and this is what it looked like after!  That was a fun mess to brush out!  
But overall I had a really successful run and I'm really looking forward to more runs with this group and going on some longer runs!  
Hope you all have a successful run this weekend too!   Keep Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment