Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Born to Run

Well hello!  I hope you all have been doing well the last couple of days!  I have been busy sleeping, working and running.  Sunday was my rest day after the 8 miles I did Saturday with the group.  Monday I did 5 miles and today I did a 3.1 miler followed by my leg pyramid workout.  So a good start to the week, and I always look forward to Wednesday, which is a rest day so I can get some stuff done around the house!
I just finished the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.

  It highlights ultra runners and tribe runners and what makes them such good runners.  It's insane the runs they do!  100's of miles!  It also talks a lot about how big companies have changed and almost hindered how we run by designing shoes that alter the way we naturally run.  This really resonated with me.  I've been hearing more and more about barefoot running and seeing the crazy, weird shoes out there with the toes and thinking, 'that's just bizarre'.

  But now the more I look into it, I think they are onto something and are actually figuring it out!  Less IS more.  All that cushion and padding they add to prevent your foot from its natural pronation is actually hurting us!  All the great tribe runners that can beat our greatest runner without braking a sweat usually only wear a thin animal skin sandal just to protect from rocks and sticks, ect.  No padding or springs.  Although I'm not ready to go crazy and buy those ugly shoes, I defiantly see where less is more when it comes to shoes.  My newest pair I got are minimalist and have made a huge difference with my runs than my previous running shoes with the shocks.  I feel like I have more of a natural stride and have less aches and pains.  Shoes really do make a big difference!  I suggest the book to any runner or anyone who is thinking about running, it would be a great starting point!  And who knows, maybe my next pair of shoes will be those crazy barefoot ones!  If it improves my runs and prevents injury,it only makes sense, right!?  We'll see!
Hope you all have started off your week with a good run or two!

What do you think of the barefoot shoes and theory? 

No comments:

Post a Comment