Friday, April 20, 2012

I Just Felt Like Running!

Yesterday was a great run!  I had a potluck at work that night, so when I got home I felt after all than indulging in cupcakes, mac and cheese and pulled pork sandwiches among other not-so-healthy foods, I better get some miles in so I could sleep better!  It was a comfortable 45degrees outside and I was in the mood for a little bit longer of a run.  Our first 3 miles took Mav and I to our favorite view point.  We always stop to take in the view and get a drink of water.
You can see the Sandy River from here and on a clear day, you can see Mount Hood.  It's pretty amazing

They even have a water spout for dogs!

After a quick water break we headed off.  It was starting to sprinkle a little and by mile 4-5 it was a steady sprinkle that turned into steady rain.  I was planning on taking us home on the Tickle Creek trail and was trying to get there fast so we could get some protection from the rain from the tree coverage!  We made it to the trail about 6 miles in and although we were already soaked, it didn't stop Mav from jumping in the creek at every opportunity! 
The rain let up and our next obstacle would be the hilly "stairs" that stand between us and home.  I rely on Mav to take the lead when it comes to hills, he helps pull me up them, LOL!  Especially these hills, they are a killer!  
That last quarter of a mile is flat and we push ourselves to pick up the pace, even tho my legs are burning by this point from tackling the hills.  But we made it for a total of 8.2 miles!  It felt good to make it home and hit the shower and I can say I slept great!
I got some new running items I'm pretty excited to try!  I decided to go with a hydration belt for now, I think I will get a camel back a little later.
It's nothing fancy or even cute and pink, but I think it will do the trick!  I wore it around the house jogging a little with it filled with water, and it did bounce more than I thought it would, not sure if that's common or not with most hydration belts...but I'll give it a real test run tomorrow on my longer group run and let you know how it goes! 
I also got a harness for Maverick!  Like I said, I like him to take charge on hills and help pull me up, but I feel bad that he is pulling with his neck.  He has gotten a lot better about pulling when I don't want him to, I had to use a gentle leader with him for a while to try to break the habit.  Now I don't have to use it anymore, and although harnesses are made for pulling, I think Mav and I have a good system down while running and he won't be crazy pulling me everywhere.  Hopefully just when I need a little extra push! (or pull )  :)) 
Doesn't he look so handsome?!  He didn't fight me at all when I put it on either!  I thought for sure he would be rolling around trying to get it off!!  Looking forward to taking our new gear out for a test run!  I'll let ya know how it goes!!  Wish me luck!

What necessities do you take on your runs, like a hydration belt?  Ipod?

Do you have experience with harnesses with dogs?  And what do you like/dislike about them?



No comments:

Post a Comment