Monday, April 23, 2012

On the Injured List

Well now I've done it, I pushed myself too much and didn't listen to my body and now I have a sore ankle!  BOO!  I started to feel it Friday night, Saturday morning while working.  I had my run with the group after work and really didn't want to miss it, so I thought since it wasn't that noticeable, I would be ok.  The run started off rough, I had side stitches the first mile and I was trying out my new hydration belt and it was uncomfortably bouncing and I thought, 'this isn't gonna work for 9 miles!'  I decided to turn the belt around to have the water bottles in the front to see if that was any better, and it was a TON better!  No more bounce and I no longer noticed I was wearing a belt.  So I was just wearing it wrong, HAHA!  Once I got that all straightened out, and my side cramps went away I started to get in my groove and feeling pretty good, but I couldn't help notice my ankle was getting more aggravated as we went on.  I kept pushing, I was too far in to turn around now.
Here's a nice action shot of part of the group!  I'm in the middle-ish practicing my smiling while running!  I've had too many retarded pictures while running, so when I see someone take a picture now, I'm ready!   
I made it all 9.5 miles, and while my ankle was sore, I thought with rest it would be ok.  
Once I got home, it was so nice out I wasn't quite ready to go to bed, and Maverick was giving me the "let's go play!" look.  So I grabbed his chuck it and ball and took him to the church for a bit.
Always a happy boy when he has his favorite ball!!
And it feels so good to roll around on the grass in the sun!
Sunday is normally a rest day for me, but I had woken up at 5am feeling bloated and heavy from the BBQ and beers I had had the night before with the neighbors.  So once it was daylight I decided I would just go for a quick 3.5 mile run with Mav.  It was such a beautiful morning, I couldn't pass it up!  Sore ankle or not. And that's just what I had, a sore ankle that was more obvious on this run.  I took it easy and kept it short.  Once home I thought it was a perfect time to start some yard work, pulling weeds and moss.  Another mistake.  By the time the afternoon came and Bryan and I had gone out to run some errands I became more vocal about my sore ankle.  I didn't want to admit it was hurting, because that meant I would have to take a break from running and take it easy.  And Bryan said just that.   Crushed, I agreed.  So now I'm on the injured list and on a break until it feels better, hopefully only a few days!  But I won't push it.  Working last night also was rough and my ankle became more and more sore as the night went on.  So I'm certain resting will be best.  I'm bummed and mad at myself at the same time.  I should have listened to my body and not have pushed myself earlier.  But all I can do now is work on getting better so I can get back out ASAP!  
I hope everyone has a good week and gets some good runs in!   Stay injury free and keep running!

Have you ever sustained an injury that required that required you take a break from running?

How long did it take to recover?



No comments:

Post a Comment