Friday, May 25, 2012

Run Girlfriend Run recap

Happy Friday all!  It is Memorial weekend which means a long weekend for most!  I hope that includes you!  I am taking advantage of a longer weekend and looking forward to it!
Last weekend was the Run Girlfriend Run race that I did with Dani and my neighbor Jenni.  Dani and I did the 10K and Jenni did the 5K.  The weather was fairly cool and there was a little sprinkle in the air.  I wasn't too worried about it because I know once I get running I would warm up, and a little sprinkle can feel good sometimes!
Jenni and I before the race!  
So excited to do the run with my BFF!  It's another thing that makes me love running, having another reason to get together with Dani!  So glad she got into running with me!
The 5Kers went first so we cheered them on as they took off, then it was our turn to line up and get ready!  I had planned on getting a new PR for myself of the race and finish in 56 minutes and about a 9 minute mile average.  Once they sent us on our way my adrenaline surged through my body.  My legs felt like Jell-O and I was thinking I wasn't gonna be able to keep up a decent pace feeling like this and I needed to shake it off! Everyone was still jumbled together and I was ready to get up to speed, so I started to pass a few people off to the side and the group started to thin out.  I had no idea where I was as far as place in the race.  It seemed like there were a ton of people still ahead of me, but I didn't worry about catching them.  
I felt like I was going pretty strong and about the pace I wanted to be at.  It felt "comfortably hard" which I hear is where you want to be at during your race pace.  I could speak in short sentences and cheered others on as I caught up to them or even as I got passed.  Of course there was that little voice in my head saying "This is too hard, your legs can't go much further!"  I tried to ignore it and thought I run this area and this distance often, there is no reason I should feel like I won't make it.  So I kept pushing.
Once we got to about mile 4, my headphones quit working (only 1 ear bud was working at the start of the race) The music was cutting in and out and it was an annoying distraction so I took them out and tucked them in my shirt.  When we had about a mile left it took us through some trails and you could hear the announce calling out names as people crossed the finish line.  I thought, "YES!  I'm close!" and I kicked it into high gear and sprinted past a couple more people.  Still hearing the announcer, I kept thinking, it must just be around the next turn, then the next, then I saw a sign that said 1/4 mile left!  UGH!  So close but felt so far away!  
I finally emerged from the wooded trails and saw all the people cheering on the finishers and I saw the time clock...Does it really say 51 minutes?  Is that right?  I was shocked to say the least.  My final time was 51:54 with an average 8:22 pace!  It was a new PR all around!  I hadn't even ran a 5K at that pace and I just completed a 10k!  WOO HOO!  It felt great.  I finished 16th out of 107 total!
After I finished I grabbed some water and some TCBY frozen yogurt and waited to cheer Dani on at the finish line.  Her husband Jesse and daughters Sarah & Katherine also were there to cheer her on.  It was her first 10K race and she had no plans on racing it, but she did awesome for her first!  So proud of her for pushing herself because I know how hard it can be and how much you just wanna give up sometimes and wonder why you put yourself through the pain.  
Overall it was a great run and I can't wait to do it next year!  Hopefully Dani feels the same!  This weekend we have the Rum Run 5k on Sunday!  Really looking forward to that one too.
Ok, you know what to do!  Keep running!

What are your plans for the long weekend?

Have you ever set a PR and then beat your own expectations?  


No comments:

Post a Comment