Saturday, May 19, 2012

The best things in life aren't always free!

One of the reasons I started running was because I didn't want to pay for a gym membership and those costly monthly dues.  I figured walking and running was esentially free besides a few maintence costs, maybe a new pair of shoes once a year and some gear to run in.  But I've now discovered, just like any other hobby, running can get expensive!!  Shoes aren't cheap and the more miles you put on them, the more pairs you go through!  So far I think I'm about 2 pairs a year, at an average of $100 a pop!  Then there are all the clothes I need for different weather and styles.  I gotta have my warm weather gear, cold weather gear, and just some cute gear I can't pass up!  I would rather spend my $$ on running accsories than regular clothes now.  Another thing to think about is having the right foods in your house to help fuel you for runs and recover after runs.  Lot's of fruits and veggies, protiens and gu, and everyone knows, eating healthy comes with a cost.  And then there's the races!  Now that I've got the race bug, I want to do everyone I see!  And those can be anywhere from $30-$150!  This month I'm doing a total of 3 races.  So my pocket book is a little tight!  But there are lots of great parts to participating in a race!  Usually a race is held to raise money for a school, or cause, so knowing your money is going to a good thing helps take the sting out.  Another great part is the SWAG!  Usually you get a shirt, race bib and timing chip, if the race is timed and sometimes some samples of products.  For the Run Girlfriend Run race I'm doing tomorrow we got a bag full of goodies!
I have been loving neon colors this season for running gear, so I love the lime green shirt we get for this run!  Super cute!

Lot's of goodies to try!

Although I've realized, running isn't free, it is a lot of fun and the health benefits make it worth the extra cost! If getting a new pair of shoes or running shorts gets me out for a run, I think the splurge is justified!  I love doing races, especially with my bestie Dani and love the SWAG that comes with races!  Signing up for a race is just more motivation to keep up on my running and perusing a healthy life style!
Can't wait for tomorrows race!  Get to run it with my best girlfriend!  I'll let you all know how it goes!!
No matter the cost, whatever keeps you going,  keep running!

No comments:

Post a Comment