Thursday, May 17, 2012

M.I.A.

Hello!  So I've been a little MIA the last month or so...still not sure how I feel about this whole blog thing.  But I figured I should touch base so you all know I'm still alive and still running!!  I've been getting a few more views since my profile was published on Oregon Live.  If you haven't read it you can check it out here!  It's kinda cheesy, and I'm not a big fan of being "profiled" but it was fun and my dad was really proud and that made it all worth it!
My dad has always been athletic in some way.  He's always been an active bike rider and runner (I tell people I must have got the bug from him)  But as he's gotten older he has gone more towards bike riding and using his elliptical, a little easier on the joints, due to some aches and pains.  But after reading my profile he has started running 3-4 miles a few times a week and we are planning a run together next month!  Really excited about it, and although he is partly why I started running, I'm glad I could get him back into it as well.
Other than that excitement, I've been busy running, picking up my miles and have another race under my belt!  I did the Doggy Dash with Maverick and Dani.  It wasn't a timed run, and was only 2.5 miles.  But we ran a bit before the run and after to get in a little over 6 miles for the day.  We both missed our group run that day so we could participate in the Doggy Dash.  It was a lot of fun and really glad I got to do it.  Although I learned a couple things; even though I was cold to start, wearing a jacket was WAY to much and too hot as the morning went on.  And instead of going early, I think staying after the race to collect goodies and see all the vendors would be better.  But still a great time!  Mav did really well, we only had a couple mishaps, the first was my bad when I let him off leash to run through the fountain.  No one was around and I thought a quick dip couldn't hurt!  As I was putting him back on his leash, out of nowhere 2 bike police came stolling up to us!  I thought I was gonna get in trouble for letting him in the fountain, but then he said "Your dog needs to be on leash at all times!"  AHHHH!  Leash laws!  I forget about those!  HAHA!  Although Sandy has leash laws inside city limits, the times I've taken him off leash I have never had an incident and I see dogs all over town off leash, so I told the officer 'I got it' hoping he would let us go on our way but insisted on going on and on and on....then took down my name and address before letting us go.  I will NEVER make that mistake again!  LOL
Just a quick dip to cool off!  Sorry officer!

Our next mishap was on our run.  I had been trying ALL morning to get Maverick to go poop.  Before we left for the race and for the hour and a half we were walking around.  Of course no success, until we were running.  About the last mile left, he decided that's when he was ready to go.  Of course not on the grass or even an area we could pull off to the side, but right in the middle of the bridge!  UGH!  Runners and dogs were dodging us left and right, so embarrassing, but he was not the only dog that decided to poo on the run, so we weren't alone!  You know how running gets things moving!  HAHA!
It was a fun run and looking forward to it next year!
My two favorites!

Anyone who knows us know we are HUGH Oregon State Fans, so I was stoked when I found out that OSU was a sponsor of the run and knew I had to do whatever I could to get our picture taken with Benny the Beaver!  And I think I blacked out when I was pulled from the crowed of runners lined up getting ready to run to get our picture taken!  I will cherish this forever!  
Well I could go on and on because there is a lot on my mind with running lately, but I'll save some stuff for later!  I have Run Girlfriend Run this weekend in my home town and am really looking forward to it!  Doing the 10K with Dani and my neighbor Jenni is doing the 5k.  I've secretly set a goal for myself, but have been hesitant to share it in case I don't hit it, but i shouldn't hold back so here it is......I'd like to finish in about 56 minutes, which is about a 9 minute mile average.  If I don't make it, that's ok, but I'm gonna try my hardest! 
Alright, until next time, keep running!

Have you done any dog friendly races?  How did they go?

Have you ever set a goal for yourself on a race that you either made or didn't make?  How did you feel?



1 comment: