Monday, August 20, 2012

Pineapple 5K & on the mend!

Happy Monday!!  Well, Monday's usually aren't considered "happy" but at least it's over for most of you!  For me on the other hand, I'm about to get ready for work!  BOOOOO!!

So I mentioned I was running the Classic Pineapple 5K with my girlfriends over the weekend and I'm happy to report it was a TON O' FUN!!


We had a lot of fun dressing up and are hoping to win the costume contest!!  I think we have a good chance!!  

The course and obstacles were a lot of fun.  Some were really intimidating, like walls we had to climb over, and rope ladders to climb up!!  But I'm happy to report we made it through all of them!  

We stuck together throughout the run, and I noticed my knee wasn't bothering me at all, but chalked it up to walk breaks and stopping to complete the obstacles.  So since I wasn't running the whole time, my knee didn't have a chance to start hurting.   I felt pretty good about that and decided I would try to run the next day.

So Sunday morning approached and I laced up my shoes and got Mav ready and we headed out the door.  I decided I would just run until I felt pain, which usually happens within the first mile.  So as I approached mile 1, I was waiting to feel something, then came mile 2, still no pain...so I kept going!!  

I also noticed on my run a ton of people riding bikes through Sandy and they were all wearing bibs so knew they were riding for something.  When Mav and I stopped at our favorite view point for a water break one of the riders also stopped to take some pictures.  So I asked what they were riding for and she said it was the Portland Century 100.  So they were riding 100 miles, starting in Portland, and came through Sandy!  We chatted for a bit, she was from St. Louis so wasn't even sure where she was, or what river we were looking at!  It was pretty cool to see all the riders.

After that we continued on to see how much further I could make it before the pain set in.  mile 4, 5, and 6 came and went, and I felt just fine!  I could have ran alllll day, but figured I'd better take it slow while getting back into the game.  So I called it quits at 7 miles.  But was beyond happy I was able to make it with no knee pain!

I also thought I would get out for a quick run this morning before I started the next phase in ChaLEAN, the Push Phase.  I wasn't sure how long the workout would be, so I didn't want to do an hour long run, and then another hour long workout.  So Mav and I just did a short 3 miles.


The Push Phase of ChaLEAN requires more resistance and heavier weights, so I picked up these bad boys that have 4 different selections, 3lbs, 6lbs, 9.5lbs and 12.5lbs.  So far they seem to be good.  But I could probably use some 15's and 20's too.  But weights are SpEnDy $$$!!  So it'll have to wait!

And lastly I got my massage today, even though the pain has subsided, I decided it couldn't hurt.  And it felt pretty good.  He focused mainly on my legs, and I think they needed some TLC.  

So I'm back on track with running for now.  My plan is to just run until I feel pain! 



1 comment:

  1. Love those weights! Can't wait to pick up some today, fingers crossed I can find them! I think we have a good shot at winning the costume contest! I look like super dork! :)

    ReplyDelete